Last Updated on December 9, 2021 by Kevin Agar
I’m sure everyone is getting a bit stir crazy with this lockdown as a result of the covid19 pandemic. We all need to try and find some normality with the situation, so I decided to try and improve my setup for photographing birds.
My normal procedure was to open the dining room window and try to photograph any birds that came to the feeders. There are a couple of small branches/twigs that I used but it wasn’t very satisfactory. One problem was the light was coming from the left in the morning and from the front in the afternoon. Despite this I did manage to get a few reasonable shots.
No matter what perches you use, they still manage to land on the feeder hooks 🙁 Although every once in a while they would land on the branches/twigs.
The background was reasonable at it was a few trees 20 meters behind the perches so nicely out of focus
At Christmas my wife bought me a mobile hide by Nitehawk so this was a good opportunity to try it out.
Again, there was a wooded area 20 meters away which gave a reasonably clean background to the images
I could change the perches fairly easily and have a few perches to make my images look less boring and give some variety. One problem I’ve noticed is if the perch has a good layer of moss on it then this dries quickly and drops off, or more often than not the Goldfinch will pull it off
The perches also need changing to reduce the risks of spreading disease
The sun was behind me most of the day so the light was better that my previous setup, all I needed was for the birds to start using them
Up till now it’s been fairly successful and I’ve managed shots of Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Great Tit, Blue Tit and Wood Pigeon but there’s still a lot more that I’ve seen in the garden or heard singing. These include Jay, Magpie, Rook, Crow, Jackdaw, Starling, Chiffchaff, Robin, House Sparrow, Dunnock, Wren, Blackcap, Coal Tit and the local Sparrowhawk
Here are a few of my efforts to date
It still needs a lot of work but it’s better than it used to be 🙂